Diverse experience in the career and talent development markets:
- Operations manager at the world’s only talent acquisition corporate innovation lab where I demoed hundreds of TA technologies and got a better understanding of where talent is going
- Spent a few months wallowing in unemployment and learned that it is the hardest job you’ll ever have and what it takes to break through the noise
- Currently working with career coach, helping 30+ people position themselves digitally & professionally get the job of their dreams and have done the same for even more friends.
But none of this really matters. What matters is what I’d do in this role:
Components from the job req:
- Principles for Success – here are masterclasses I’d love to run
- WFH and lifestyle design: setting up a successful remote work arrangement
- The roadmap to financial independence: basic stuff like automated investing and target date products, emergency funds ,ISA administration etc – this one will be interesting because they will have an income-share…how does that affect finances? Obviously more flexible than a loan.
- Networking: Networking Sucks! But You Don’t!
- Career strategy and development
- Job Search Workshops topics
- Offense not defense: proactively managing job pipeline. Downloadable template & tracker to optimize your job search funnel and SEE where your vulnerabilities are (ie: interview phase, cover letter phase, etc)
- Prospecting domination: how to find job opportunities that set your heart on fire
- Beyond the Job Posting: Creating your own opportunities through networking
- Role-playing interviews on request for specific co’s, live workshops, etc
- Tools to combat ageism, sexism, and racism in the hiring process
- Interview prep and execution
- Resume basics and must-haves
- Linkedin and social networking
- Brown Bags:
- Lunch and learns with alumni from notable and nontraditional backgrounds alike
- Poll students for what subject matter they are most interested in
My broader ideas:
- Network Map – part of the success of this role lies in the ability to map the nooks and crannies of Lambda’s network. This can be done with a simple spreadsheet or a service provider
- Customized career discovery roadmaps – no two students are alike and there should be multiple journeys for each different role/career objective based on previous successful paths
- Industry/role road trips: schedule a series of in-person company visits during a specific week. Give students the opportunity to see what a day in the life is like in a target industry or role
- Build a culture of first-year postgrads helping the current class of students: these new grads serve as third party advisors to teams on their final projects. Builds a relationship and helps with job prospects as it creates relevant referenceable experience. Creates a free networking bridge.
Mike Smith [email protected]
Most Recent Blog Posts
Hustle: The Power to Charge your Life with Money, Meaning and Momentum [Kindle Highlights] In a world of boundless abundance, the only thing standing...
Everything Is Bullshit: The greatest scams on Earth revealed [Kindle Highlights] The philosophy of this book is that the best defense...
Error: Access Token is not valid or has expired. Feed will not update.
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins
There's an issue with the Instagram Access Token that you are using. Please obtain a new Access Token on the plugin's Settings page.
If you continue to have an issue with your Access Token then please see this FAQ for more information.